Currently, both the miss Universe As the miss World They are the two most important beauty pageants on the planet. In these participate women of various nationalities with the sole objective of reaching the final instances and being crowned the winner of the competition. However, there are those who, due to ignorance, often confuse these two events. For this reason, in this note we tell you the differences that exist between the two.
Miss World: review and characteristics
Miss World is the oldest beauty pageant that exists and was founded in 1951 by the British Morley family, enjoying greater popularity in Europe, Asia and Africa. It should be noted that, since its inception, the Morleys have owned the contest, and have not transferred it to other hands.
Being an organization that prioritizes the social commitment of its participants, miss World has as a charitable pillar Beauty with a purpose (Beauty with a Purpose), which each year provides tens of thousands of young women “the opportunity to use your skills to make a real and lasting contribution to the lives of the sick and marginalized”.
- Largest audience in Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Virtues such as social awareness, physical health care and the human qualities of the candidates are prioritized.
- The age range to compete is from 17 to 24 years.
Miss Universe: review and characteristics
The miss Universe is a beauty pageant founded in 1952 in United States. Among the various owners that this contest has had is the Trump family, which got rid of the contest in 2014. It should be noted that one of the first winners was the Peruvian Gladys Zenderwhich was made with the crown in 1957. Likewise, the organization of Miss Universe defines itself as “a global and inclusive organization that celebrates women of all cultures and backgrounds, and empowers them to achieve their goals through experiences that build self-confidence and create opportunities for success”.
- Greater recognition in the United States and Latin America
- It is fundamental the intelligence and bearing of the participating women
- Allows the participation of transgender women
- The age range to compete is from 18 to 27 years old.
What characteristics do both beauty pageants share?
- Candidates must have been born in the country they represent.
- They must have won the national contest or be a substitute for the winner.
- Not having had children.
- Not getting married
Latest Miss Universe winners
- 2010 – Ximena Navarrete (Mexico)
- 2011 – Leila Lopes (Angola)
- 2012 – Olivia Culpo (United States)
- 2013 – Gabriela Isler (Venezuela)
- 2014 – Paulina Vega (Colombia)
- 2015 – Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach (Philippines)
- 2016 – Iris Mittenaere (France)
- 2017 – Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters (South Africa)
- 2018 – Catriona Gray (Philippines)
- 2019 – Zozibini Tunsi (South Africa)
- 2020 – Andrea Meza (Mexico)
- 2021 – Harnaaz Sandhu (India).
Latest Miss World winners
- 2010 – Alexandria Mills (United States)
- 2011 – Ivian Sarcos (Venezuela)
- 2012 – Wenxia Yu (China)
- 2013 – Megan Young (Philippines)
- 2014 – Rolene Strauss (South Africa)
- 2015 – Mireia Lalaguna (Spain)
- 2016 – Stephanie del Valle (Puerto Rico)
- 2017 – Manushi Chhillar (India)
- 2018 – Vanessa Ponce de Leon (Mexico)
- 2019 – Toni-Ann Singh (Jamaica)
- 2021 – Karolina Bielawska (Poland).