CNN’s brand new streaming service closes just a month after its launch. CNN’s new president, Chris Licht, said in a memo Thursday that the service will cease operations at the end of April.
CNN+ debuted when its parent company was still part of AT&T. At the beginning of the month he teamed up with Discovery to form a new company, Warner Bros. Discovery, run by Discovery CEO David Zaslav, who had his own plans for CNN and his brothers at Warner.
In his memo, Licht said consumers wanted “simplicity and inclusive service” rather than “individual offerings.”
Discovery had previously suggested that it wanted merge the new company’s streaming services, which include Discovery+ and HBO Max, in a single application.
Licht said some of CNN+’s content will go to other company networks, and employees of the streaming service will have the opportunity to apply for jobs at other Warner Bros. Discovery companies. CNN+ head Andrew Morse is leaving the company.
“While today’s decision is incredibly difficult, it is the right one for CNN’s long-term success. It allows us to channel resources to the core products that drive our unique approach: make journalism even better of CNN and its reputation as a global news leader,” Licht wrote.
AT&T had allocated $100 million in costs and about 500 employees to developing CNN+.