Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, September 10, 2022 at Windsor CastleKirsty O’Connor
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan denounced this weekend the “coup de com'” which they believe represents the regrets of the tabloid The Sun about a column which violently attacked the Duchess of Sussex.
Last week, ex-Top Gear car show presenter Jeremy Clarkson wrote that he dreamed of the day when Meghan would have to “parade naked through the streets of every city in the UK, while crowds shout ‘Shame’ !+ and will throw excrement on him”.
The newspaper said on Friday it regretted the publication of the text, which it removed from its website and its archives, saying it was “sincerely sorry”.
“The fact that the Sun has not contacted the Duchess of Sussex to apologize shows their intentions. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt,” a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan said on Saturday. .
“While audiences are entirely deserving of headline regrets for their dangerous words, we wouldn’t be in this situation if The Sun weren’t continually profiting from and exploiting hate, violence and misogyny,” added the spokesperson.
The disputed article prompted a record number of complaints (more than 20,000) to the British press regulator and numerous convictions of public figures.
Jeremy Clarkson had in response invoked “a clumsy reference to (the series) Game of Thrones”.
“This was taken badly by many people. I am horrified to have caused so much pain and will be more careful in the future,” he wrote.
In one of Game of Thrones’ most defining sequences, a female character undergoes a “walk of shame”, where she is forced to wander the streets naked while people throw trash at her.