Performances canceled again: concern for conductor Barenboim


The 79-year-old was recently diagnosed with an inflammatory vascular disease.

Berlin. The conductor and general music director of the Berlin State Opera Unter den Linden, Daniel Barenboim, has to cancel appointments again for health reasons. This time the upcoming tour with the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, which he co-founded, is affected. The 79-year-old was recently diagnosed with an inflammatory vascular disease, the orchestra said in a statement on Tuesday. Barenboim has been in hospital for two weeks.

According to the announcement, the doctors expect a full recovery. They have urged him to complete his current treatment and withdraw from the upcoming concert tour to focus on his recovery, they said. His former assistant Thomas Guggeis is stepping in for Barenboim.

The Staatskapellmeister at the Staatsoper will switch to the Frankfurt Opera as General Music Director for the 2023/24 season. During the May tour, the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra will play concerts in Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Czech Republic.

Barenboim: “Give health priority”

“The withdrawal from this tour is painful for me,” Barenboim is quoted as saying. Working with the orchestra is something very special for him. “However, I have to put my health first now.”

It was only in April that the world-famous conductor had to cancel performances as a conductor and pianist for health reasons. It was about circulatory problems with medical treatment. Previously, a concert with Barenboim in the Philharmonie had to be cancelled. In recent months, Barenboim has had to cancel several appearances due to back problems. On February 6, he underwent spinal surgery.



Source-www.oe24.at